This involved manufacture and erection of 600 roof trusses. These roof trusses were erected in a live city centre railway station. Through extensive planning with the main contractor P Rogers & Sons and Iarnrod Eireann, the train hall remained in operation for the entire period of the building works. The new steelwork was detailed and fabricated to fit with the original cast iron support structure that was in place since the station first opened in 1844.
Over the years the original beams had sagged and become deformed. This meant that each of the 600 new trusses had to be individually measured, designed and fabricated to ensure the roof structure would be correctly aligned.
Health and safety was given particular attention on this site as the old roof was removed and replaced while thousands of passengers using the fully operational railway station.